60 review by EMG

EMG: 60

First off, I'm not one for using a bridge pickup often, I like my squeals too much for that. That aside, I am playing a cheap $100 guitar made of heavy basswood with an LTD EX-50 neck attached, and thick gauge strings. There is only one pickup, which is the EMG-60 in the bridge position. I've tried a lot of guitars, but I have never felt such a rich, deep, warm crunch from a bridge pickup. Traditionally this would be used in the neck, and I am looking at possibly getting a second one to add in. The EMG-60 has a very balanced tone, it's good for rythym parts without blending in to the ambiance. It stands out, and has a profound sound that I can't get enough of. Keeping in mind as well I normally play with heavy distortion. However I have also decided to give it a few clean runs, and for the most part the chords sound smooth and warm even without distortion. I would definetely recommend this as a bridge pickup.

Once more, a single pickup guitar... Bridge position. This made a cheap piece of junk guitar sound like a million bucks. Most suggest it as a neck pickup, and I will probably choose this for the neck position as well. However it's rare someone places it in the bridge. You won't be dissapointed if you do.

As with all EMG's, very durable, very solid and long lasting. I got this guitar after it had been heavily used for a long time... The battery certainly wasn't full, but even with lower battery power it still played amazing. So if the battery ever dies on you during the show, it's more of a blessing then a curse.

metalhead27
    daanvanbeek : For metallica james hetfield sound..... he uses EMG 60 in neck position and EMG 85 in bridge position
    he uses 81/60 not 85/60 and now he uses his signatures
    BearCaveEcho
    Air_Stryker
    BearCaveEcho wrote: I use 85/85's, but I let the battery in the neck position die for a REALLY REALLY REALLY great clean tone... don't ask me why, but I decided hey, I want to not have to buy an acoustic simulator pedal. It also gets some interesting sounds when the toggle is using both the pups.
    What? I thought the same 9V battery runs both pickups... Am I wrong? Or is your guitar wired with a separate 9V for each pickup?