JH Set review by EMG

EMG: JH Set

Purchased from: American Musical

The sound is very similar to an EMG 81/60 combo while distorted. It has much smoother and usable clean tones. Overall I find the tones to be pretty balanced. I'm as happy with these as I am with the 81/60's and even happier with them clean. I couldn't be any happier than I am right now.

I absolutely love the look of the pickups. I was going to put a 81/60 combo in the guitar, but I saw these were about to be released. I purchased them without seeing any official reviews and I have no regrets. I'm not crazy about the fingerprints. However I expected this long before I got them due to the fact that they were glossy. I put them in my custom Warmoth build that I just finished. The set came with both a bridge, and neck pickup.

Generally EMG pickups last the life of the guitar from my experience. I don't see any reason why these would be any different. I have only owned these pickups for 2 weeks, however I have not had any problems.

StONE_ROdGEr
    I couldn't be any happier than I am right now. // 9
    >9 >Not 10? So you could be happier?
    assasinos
    Aren't they active? I thought from the beginning that they are. Hm, that changes everything for me :< (seriously, no kidding)
    assasinos
    Ok, they're active - check EMG site, and take a look at the photos, they show battery connector
    EpiExplorer
    sewoo55 wrote: pokerhappy wrote: drug.me.2.hell wrote: xSacrilegex wrote: dash-rendar wrote: They are passive pickups Only douches buy passive EMGs. Say that to James Hetfield (he now uses these in ALL his stage guitars) >implying that James is not a douche well james seems like a quite nice and humble guy actually..... can't really say the same thing about lars or kirk though
    Kirks good, he lives on a farm and does.. farmer stuff.
    Tedis1111
    or people with a different opinion to you
    Necrotise
    breadfan82 wrote: Funny thing is that EMG and Hetfield talk about the black nickel finish like this set is the first to have it. Seymour Duncan Livewire Mustaine Sigs, anyone? They busted those things out around '05, I should think. Just another way Mustaine has been ripped off by someone in Metallica.
    There are many, many pickups with the black nickel finish like these, except none of them are EMG's. The idea was to create a unique set of EMG's not a unique set of pickups in general, and i think they succeeded being as there's no other EMG's that look anything like these. You're talking as if Mustaine should have been praised for his innovation in designing a pair of pickups that had a black Nickel finish and Hetfield has just stolen his glory or something? Nobody really gives much of a crap about what either sets of pickups look like, just what they sound like, both have been praised.
    drug.me.2.hell
    Say that to James Hetfield (he now uses these in ALL his stage guitars)
    breadfan82
    sewoo55
    So Alexi Laiho is a douche since his signature EMG pickup is passive?
    Anchr
    If they sound pretty much the same as the 81/60 combo I'm not paying well over 200 euros for these. Might as well get that 81/60 combo =S
    Sakke
    You could have written a much more helpful review, syntheticocean, since there are very few reviews of these pickups.
    assasinos
    Just going to buy them - how much did you pay for them? I'm getting my custom Ken Lawrence Explorer, and I'm thinking 60/81 (which I already have in my other guitar) or JH Set.
    Duongy
    i have a decision to make, to buy this or buy a line 6 dm4 (the distortion that james uses) according to his latest gear rig info
    DJ_Effrey
    Wouldn't mind a set of these for my next custom-build. However, I know pretty much nothing more about these, as you've hardley written a substantial, detailed review
    sewoo55
    pokerhappy
    >implying that James is not a douche
    Vypor
    I want to eventually put this set into my Les Paul, but I'll just have to wait until they are a bit cheaper. I'd be happy to pay in or around $150, $175 for the set, but I just cant justify spending 200 on pickups. They do look and sound pretty impressive though. . .
    poland
    Man after reading the comments from the U2 deal now this it seems some people are having major roid rage-----Chill or not I find the comment rather funny to read.
    EpiExplorer
    They dont sound very different from the normal 60/81's. Perhaps they'd work better with all of Hetfields equipment (they're made for him, after all), but you'd be better off just getting the 81/60 combo for less and with a little less stigma. I prefer the 85 anyway.. more EQ balance for recording.
    Necrotise
    Rckker wrote: The JH Set is a totally new dimension for EMG with the design being driven solely with the input of James Hetfield. In early 2009 James Hetfield contacted EMG Pickups president Rob Turner and presented him with a challenge: to create a stealth looking set that captures the clarity and punch of a passive pickup and still retains the legendary active tone that molded a generation. So they are passive At least they say at emg
    They are active. The quote you just used even suggests that they are active. I fail to see how you managed to come to the conclusion they are definitely passive from reading that quote? THE PICKUPS ARE ACTIVE. YOU'LL FIND THEM UNDER THE 'ACTIVE PICKUPS' SECTION ON THE EMG WEBSITE.
    Mukersman
    JESUS CHRIST! They are active! If you bothered to continue reading the SAME sentence you were referencing, you would see that goal was to get a more passive-esque sound, while still retaining the active tone. I don't even care about these pickups, but use your damn brains people.
    r0ckth3d34n
    They look really cool and they're advertised as like a EMG 81X/60X combo... anyone have clips...?
    Rckker
    animemetalhead
    So, are they active or passive? I don't think that was specified. Anyway, I love Hetfield and think his pickups probably would be awesome.