Dark Star review by Entwistle

Entwistle: Dark Star

Purchased from: ebay

A very warm tone but can distort well with any other high output pickup and squeal just as loud. This pickup actually has no variances in the output between the neck and bridge versions. I have mixed the neck version up with bridges of other pickups but the sound of this pickup melds well with pickups that have high treble and can stand to have some kind of bassy compliment. I have this with an Entwistle X3 pickup which is a dual bladed humbucker and the combinations of sounds I get between the two when both are activated or one or the other is extremely wide, especially for the kind of music I play. Can you say tap solo with a subtle warble a la Tom Morello?

I have it set in a partscaster that I'm always tinkering around with. I have this in the neck with an X3 in the bridge coming up with cool sounds. I'm always excited to pick up and play this guitar just because of the sounds I get with this guitar. There is also a model with a Neodymium magnet in it to make this pickup even hotter. My next step is to figure out how to rub off the text of this thing... It's a beautiful humbucker but I just want the text gone... Maybe if you somehow are inclined to get one of these things, ask if you can get it without the branded bobbins.

I've never seen a pickup decide to snap in half yet nor has the plate fallen off of any of the pickups I have ever seen or used. The magnet is DAMN strong and actually overpowered my bridge to the point that I had to lower this thing and raise the bridge. The pickup was pretty much good to go right out of the package, pretty much a drop in and play. My only complaint comes from the silly looking text on the bobbins, 3 different kinds of font and a star outline you would see on a 4th graders notebook kind of hurts my eyes but I suppose that isn't really a problem is it?

FingerFud
    I have this in a Tanglewood superstrat. It's the Redstar version which according to Entwistle himself, is the exact same but with a different name!(I asked him myself. A very surprisingly good pickup overall. It sounds really warm and nice but gets muddy past the likes of C# Standard tuning. Still great though, nevertheless!