HV-58 Plus review by Entwistle

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
Entwistle: HV-58 Plus

Purchased from: eBay

I play alot of blues, jazz, classic rock, and some early metal like Black Sabbath. This pickup is excellent for all of those styles! It has a resistance of 9.2 which can be seen on the Entwistle website. I have it in a Les Paul Ultra in the neck position, with a Bill Lawrence USA 500XL in the bridge and it is like a match made in heaven! I run it through an Epiphone DSP 60 combo amp or a Blue Voodoo 120H head with a Drive cabinet and a 6 band MXR EQ, along with other pedals like the Big Muff Pi and the Custom Badass 78 distortion. The pickup is very warm on both amps and has a very sweet, punchy, and clear full sound which is perfect for clean rhythms and sweet distorted leads! It complements the 500XL very well, since the Bill Lawrence can sometimes get kind've shrill depending on the settings. I was afraid of a volume drop off between the two pickups since the 500XL is very loud, but there was none to be found. I only rate it a 9 because there are surely better pickups out there but this one is astounding, and at that price unbeatable! It was exactly the tone I was looking for!

It feels like a very solid pickup. I have only had it for a short amount of time so I can't really attest to how it holds up long term. It is the zebra coil version so there is no cover or anything. The pickups I had before had a crappy gold platted cover that started to turn green and wear off, so I'm sure this one will not have any problems like that, again it feels very well built. I got it off eBay and it came very professionally packaged with all the wires in the back tied up in a rubber band.

I've been playing for about 10 years now and even made an account just to review THIS pickup. I couldn't find any info or reviews on it so I was pretty much taking a shot in the dark, but man did it pay off! The tone is great and even though it is a hot pickup is still has that ballsy PAF lead tone I had been searching for. It was a HUGE improvement over the stock Epiphone Probucker pickup which was way too muddy for any application at all. If your on the fence about buying this pickup of the HV-58, go for it! They are really amazing, and for such a low price.

RedEyeShred
    Good review, for the most part! Entwistle make some great pickups. I used to have a Cort X-6 that I put an X3 in the neck and a Nemesis in the bridge. Cleaned up really well but still had plenty of grunt. X3 is a pretty warm neck pickup (unsure of bridge version, never tried it). Nemesis is (in a Basswood bodied guitar, like the X-6) Crisp and with a lot of bite whilst sounding very 'full'. I'll have to try the HV-58+ sometime too