Neo-D Magnetic Soundhole review by Fishman

Fishman: Neo-D Magnetic Soundhole

Purchased from: Sound Control

As this is a sound hole pickup, it is best suited in the neck position. For the money, the sound this pickup gives is great; if a bit 'bassy', but nothing a good ol' mess around with the EQ settings on your amp. It is a shame that there are no onboard controls. I am running it into a Vox AD50VT electric guitar amp gut this suits my needs perfectly. I use a Boss GE-7 to change the EQ slightly and this works great. On the downside, there is a bit of noise from the pickup but that is to be expected from a single coil. There is a humbucking version for a little more money though.

My overall impression is that if it broke, I would buy a new one. Honestly. The worst thing about it is the lead coming off it. Ideally, I would fix it with an endpin jack but as of yet everything is okay. In my cheap, but rather good, dreadnaught acoustic, it sounds great.

I have only owned it for the last couple of days but the workmanship seems ok to me. The 10ft lead that comes off the pickup though is not too great. It feels a bit flimsy and you cannot remove the casing on the jack so I do not know what I would do if it broke. For just sitting down playing/recording or whatever it seems fine.