'64 Staggers review by GFS

GFS: '64 Staggers

Purchased from: eBay

Using a loaded scratchplate with 3 single coil Vintage '64 Grey-Bottom Staggers, made by GuitarFetish.com impedance is 5.8k neck, 6.3k middle and 6.5k bridge. Output is plenty loud enough for stage or home. Bridge is nice and "clean" and even "distant" middle is warm and "fuzzy", and neck is warm and "close". All three are nicely balanced. The combinations works very well indeed. The controls have been modded so top tone is master for all 3 pickups, bottom tone, set at 10, bridge pickup selected, bridge pickup, dial back to 1 and you get bridge/neck combination, which is an "extra" and sounds much like a "tele" very full sound. Being used with either a Fender FM15R or Fender 210R (65 watt twin speaker). Has a nice mid-'60s "Surfy" sound.

Installed in a Squier Affinity Strat. It has transformed the guitar into an instrument that could be quite happily gigged, and would do justice to itself. When used with reverb and delay the sound is so clean and pure it is unbelievable for "cheap" pickups. I know you don't like perfect, but these are about as perfect as you can get for the price. Highly recommended for those Who want to upgrade a cheaper guitar. I have to give it 10 overall.

Certainly built to last, and yes would depend on it. Has the original "cloth-covered" wiring and rubber mounts instead of metal springs. Alnico magnets with aged knobs etc. Would quite happily gig with this guitar and be proud of it.

david_highland
    GuitarPlayer716 wrote: Installed in a Squier Affinity Strat. YOU FAIL. Why the hell would anyone waste money by putting new pickups in a Squier? I love Fender, but let's be serious now.
    Affinity strats are typically the preferred guitar of modders, because it's basically the same as a fender except for the electronics, and it's a little thinner. Squiers may not be the best to begin with, but any guitarist that knows his instrument can make the proper adjustments and mods to make it decent. I've played everything from an mim strat to fender custom shop and I've never found a fender that I liked half as much as my squier. Play you're guitar for another few years, learn that it's the guitar that makes it great NOT the name on the headstalk, then come back say I fail.
    Shannock
    Guitarplayer 716 - If you knew your facts, you would know that Leo Fender set up Squier and Fender side-by-side in the same factory. You would also know that a lot of professional guitar players use modded Squiers. I also own a 50's re-issue Strat, but I also like my Squier with different pickups for an entirely different sound. Don't be such a snob.
    david_highland
    ShamiqSevenfold wrote: How much?
    GFS pickups are cheap as all hell, not bad cheap but inexpencive, you know? I just bought a loaded GFS pickguard for a squier affinity strat that I have and there is a very noticeable improvement and the ones I got are supposed to be the worst of the GFS lot.
    rhcpfan118
    squiers aren't THAT bad. they're not good, but they're not bad, for the price... they're ok. they get the job done. this coming from a guy that owns a gibson. epiphones are better than squiers though :p i can't tell much difference from my epi LP custom and my gibson LP studio...
    GuitarPlayer716