Crunchy PAT Zebra Humbuckers review by GFS

GFS: Crunchy PAT Zebra Humbuckers

Purchased from: http://www.guitarfetish.com

From a scale of 1-10 I'm going to rate the output of the bridge (lead) pickup at 8.5. The output of the bridge (rhythm) pickup is at about 7. They're not excellent but they are satisfactory, especially considering the price and the specific sound I was looking for. These GFS Crunchy PAT pickups are installed in my Gibson Les Paul Standard. I play them through a Marshall JCM-2000 TSL 602. Effects I use are Boss Power Stack petal and Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor. I don't use lots of effects because I like the raw noise of the amp. Good tone on them. Great harmonics, some of the best harmonics I've heard from passive pickups. The bass is perfect for me, not too high and not to low; very very crunchy. The mids and treble on these pickups are two things that really caught me off guard and amazed me, by that I mean that they made my guitar sound so thick and beefy on both clean and distortion channels. I play .011-.050 gauge Dunlop strings and the pickups made them sound like .015-.064, love it. Acceptable balance.

The sound I was looking for was a hard rock crunchy sound like Slash or Dean DeLeo of stone Temple Pilots. I have a variety of Les Pauls and other guitars and I want them all with a sound of their own. These pickups really satisfied and fulfilled my search for that raunchy, dirty, greasy, crunchy sound that is more than rock but not quite metal either on a distortion channel; but also sings a beautiful blues or melodic ballad on a clean channel. If I just described that certain distinct sound you're looking for than I really recommend these GFS Crunchy PAT Humbuckers. For the price they go for ($23.95 each) they are definitely a bargain. Please keep in mind that I'm rating these pickups for the specific sound and purpose I wanted them for and not in versatility. For hard rock these are not the best pickups but not far from the best either. I hope my review was helpful for you. Take care. ROCK TO LIVE AND LIVE TO ROCK.

I can confidently say that these pickups are going to last a long while. The magnets are very strong and the construction on them seem really solid. Constant flow as well.