Crunchy Rails review by GFS

GFS: Crunchy Rails

Price paid: C$ 33

Purchased from: guitarfetish.com

I have the neck pickup of this model which is rated at 10.4K. The output level even though it is their hottest pickup is still not very high. It is about equal may be a bit higher than a Bill Lawrence L500xl. I compare it to this pickup because it sounds the same. It is very high in treble and has a bit less bass and equal bass to mids. Out of 10 I would say it would be: Treble-8, Bass-6, Mid-5.5. I use this pickup through Fender amps and cabs with DigiTech whammy, Crybaby wah, and an MXR phaser. It does well with all these pedals and all of my amps. I usually play death metal and groove metal so I use a lot of gain and this pickup handles that well. This sounds very clean and the notes sound very even similar to an active pickup. I also am in a jazz/blues band and it does very well clean even though I have no tone knob. I have no opinion of the bridge model but I assume it would be just as good.

I have this installed in the neck position paired with a DiMarzio x2n in an ESP superstrat. The volumes are very imbalanced so the neck pickup is very high and the x2n in very low. It sounds very clean no matter what your playing and the harmonics are very good. Because it was so cheap I think I will Switch from DiMarzio to all GFS soon. I'd say get this pickup don't even think twice. The only bad thing about it is that the pickup ring was the wrong ring but normally pickups don't come with rings so its all good.

This pickup seems just as durable as any other. The ground wire came shielded already right out of the box which never happens for me. This was a great feature I needed no shrink wrap to wire it. It came with a pickup ring but it was a pickup ring for the bridge (I ordered the neck pickup). The ring was also not the same dimensions as my guitar so I can't use it. This was an extra anyways so I can't really complain about it.