RedActive RL101/RL102 Set review by GFS

GFS: RedActive RL101/RL102 Set

Purchased from: guitarfetish.com

Tone for days is all I can say. I've dealt with GFS before. I bought the guitar that I put these pickups in from them. It is the XV-890HH model (which I also rated on this site). A set-neck Super-Strat type guitar built for metal and shred. I was completely happy with the quality and playability of this axe. What I wasn't fond of was the pick-ups (or the fact that I had to replace the Floyd Rose Special after the FIRST string-change; but that's another story and not the fault of GHS/Xaviere, really). The GFS "Crunchy Pats" were what came with the guitar and they HAD to be replaced. I got these RedActives and all the wiring, battery clips etc. For $60.00 and didn't expect much.

Remember: pickup height is important with active pickups. I find that they need to be set high for best results, just like EMGs.

WOW is all I can say. Try as I might, I can't find anything bad to say about these pups. They are GREAT. They sound like a deranged love-child of EMGs and Duncan Blackouts. Hard rock, classic and modern metal these are made for, and they do it well. Clean isn't their strong suit, but is satisfactory.