VEH - Vintage Extra Hot review by GFS

GFS: VEH - Vintage Extra Hot

Purchased from: www.Guitarfetish.com

The bridge pickup is wound to 11.2k and the neck is 9.4k. They were made specifically to recreate what EVH used back in the day, low output pickup through a high gain amplifier cranked full. I bought the bridge pickup only, and a Crunchy PAT for the neck, for my budget guitar upgrade/restoration of my 1970 Ibanez Les Paul. I play on various amps, from a Boss GT-6 through a PA, and I recently spent a solid 2 hours jamming a 5150 III a my local Long & Mcquade. Boy they sounded sweet. At high gain, these pickups have a tight but big sounding crunch which doesnt't even sound muddy. When you roll off the gain, the clean sound is decent at best. I found that it was too tin can sounding, it lacked the low end, but then again that's why a good neck pickup comes into play. Bottom line, if you want a cleaner crunch even at the highest gain settings for the price, this will let your notes Shine through, without the muddiness some low end pickups produce. It does come with the ability to be coil-tapped, as do all GFS pickups, so I don't know how it'll sound because I haven't coil tapped them, so I don't know how they'd sound.

Bottom line, I love these pickups. They let your notes ring out clearly through even high gain channels and it produces a heavy bottom end with it. It was supposed to emulate the possibility of recreating EVH's Brown Sound, and I think it's pretty close. Only thing I wished is that because of it's low output compared to my neck, it's clean sound sounds a a little weak. I put this pickup in the bridge position of my les paul, and it sounds great. Pinch harmonics are easier, and my sound couldn't sound better for such a low price! If you have 40 bucks lying around, weak pickups needing an upgrade, and a soldering iron, then order a set of these! You'll love them.

For the price, I believe I'd put one in every guitar I owned, but yet again each of my guitars won't be unique to each other. The instructions that came with the pup is very straight forward, and since this was my first installation of pickups, I did a pretty good job and they sound great. I'd depend on it for sure.

Way Cool JR.
    I just installed a set of these (neck & bridge) in my 'Schecter Damien Special FR' a few days ago. I got the white open coil version. They sound really great even better than I was expecting and I was expecting them to sound great. I bought them for Classic Rock and 80's Glam/Rock/Metal and the tone is exactly what I was looking for. These baby's have some sweet sounding harmonics that just fly off of them the squealies are damn impressive for a relatively low output bucker. They are very warm with great mids and smooth treble, very well balanced. I don't like doing reviews so I will probably never do one for them. I can say they are well worth the money and sound perfect for what I play 'Classic Rock & Metal'.
    f22master
    man, im getting one of these for my frankie build. this is the first real review ive found and its very helpful
    BH7697
    im putting one in my VH1 build too, its a great pickup, best 40 bucks ive spent in a while.
    saberrocks
    mashedpotatoes wrote: VanEddie Halen pickups... interesting
    VEH stands for Vintage Extra Hot. Although at first I made the same mistake as you
    Johnny Quest
    i upgraded my harley benton les paul, squier affinity strat and london city tele with GFS pickups, they improve the sound a bit.
    SlipKnoT_M666
    brownypoints665 wrote: I'm gonna put one in my LP and get some good silver pickup covers.
    Dont worry bout the p/u covers man... they will look rad on your LP without the covers!!!
    BH7697
    they have zebra coloured pickups which would look sweet on a les paul. i have the silver covers myself but they are good too.
    Way Cool JR.
    they already make them with the covers so why go through the trouble.
    PimpSmurf
    got a bridge pickup. It's a great sounding pickup. Not very hot. Very warm (gets muddy easily if you back off the tone knob.) Sounds FANTASTIC at any gain level with a boosted mids EQ. Love it, but I ordered a crunchy rail bridge and fat pat neck to replace it with to attempt more metal tones.