OEM PAF Pickup review by Kent Armstrong

Kent Armstrong: OEM PAF Pickup

Purchased from: WD Music Products

This pickup sounds absoulutly amazing. It has a even output that isn't overly loud or soft. It is very responsive to the volume knob on the guitar. It tends to be more bassy since I have it in the neck position, but I would describe it more as a smooth sound vs a muddy bass sound. I acually rarely use my bridge pickup (A Kent Armstrong OEM Distortion) for leads, because this has a Killer lead sound. I use a Marshall DSL 100 half stack through a Peavey JSX cab, a Laney VC-15 combo and a VHT Special 6 combo. The OEM PAF sounds amazing through all of them and retains it's smooth character while adapting to the sound of the amp, which I believe is the best attribute of any pickup. I have guitars with Seymour Duncans and I must say, while I do love my Seymour's, they just don't have the same amazing sound as this pickup (or the other OEM Distoriton.)

My father builds guitars and installed this pickup as the neck pickup on a guitar for me. This guitar has been my #1 since I've been playing (I've been playing for 6 years) and this pickup is a large part of why. It sounds great for solos and clean work and works great with any amp and pedal combination I've tried. I even have confidence in it if I have to play another amp at a venue or something, because this pickup always provides the sweetest tone possible from that amp. This is by far my favorite pickup.

This pickup is about is about 8 years old and I have never had a problem out of it. The wires seem sturdy and have never shorted on me. There's not much else to say, because I really don't know how your could break a pickup without doing something stupid... Lol.