Anthem review by L.R. Baggs

• Users' score: 9 (1 vote)
L.R. Baggs: Anthem

When plugged directly in, it sounds just like my guitar... Only louder. The mic does a really good job representing the true tone of the instrument while also picking up body and string noise. I can not stress enough the quality of the sound. Even when plugged directly into a computer it reproduces a startlingly realistic Acoustic guitar tone, much better than any other pickup I've heard. I wouldn't recommend recording an album with the pickup alone but if you don't have a nice mic it's more than good enough. The under-saddle pickup also allows the player to blend in more low end to taste. Using the trim you can completely eliminate the sound of the pickup though doing that destroys bass response. The Anthem is quite flexible, I've used it through tons of PAs and amplifiers and it works well on all of them. I tend to use the under-saddle almost entirely when I have the opportunity to mic but if not I'll use 75% mic and 25% pickup.

I'm really impressed with this pickup. I was about to pull the trigger on a K&K Trinity system when someone mentioned this to me. After some research I took a leap and bought it. I'm glad I did, the Baggs was less expensive yet still produced the type of sound I was looking for. My next guitar may sport a trinity since I do so much body percussion but the Anthem will spend the rest of it's days in my Taylor 712.

The first edition of this pickup to come out had some serious issues with grounding and internal components. Baggs seems to have worked these out however and they replaced my system free of charge. I feel that the new system will last as long as the guitar itself does honestly, it's quite well built. I never feel the need to carry anything other than a backup battery with me. It serves me night after night without fail and I have a strong feeling that it will continue to serve me well into the future.