Red Silver Dually review by Lace

Lace: Red Silver Dually

I picked up a Lace Sensor red/silver Dually on clearance from G.C. It is switchable from the Red single, which is a high output single coil tone (14.5k ohms) to the Silver single, which is a more basic Strat mid-range mellow output(7.1k ohms), to the super hot, razor sharp combination humbucker (22.2k ohms). I've installed it in my 1993 Fender HM Strat and it really blows away the stock DiMarzio Super Distortion 3. Incredibly well balanced and surprizingly adaptable to a wide range of styles. Since it's in the bridge position, I can pair it up with the mid pickup for a huge SRV like tone with the humbucker/mid selected, or a late model Hendrixy sound with the red single/mid pickup. Sounds incredible through my Crate BV50H (tube) with the Vintage 30 Celestions, especially at high volume with my DigiTech Jimi Hendrix Experience pedal. In the HB position, it's like there's an extra two notches on the volume pot.

I love the versatility of a three pickup system in one compact package. As I said, it is switchable to all three pickups red/silver/HB which allows me to basically have 9 way switching on this axe, which is a 1993 Fender USA HM Strat HSS. The one thing that really ticked me off was the omission of a key factor in the wiring diagram provided of the three way switching, which was a ground wire from the 3PDT Switch, but the website had the correct diagram and all turned out well, it did set me back a day though. It is in the bridge position. I know everybody rates things very high on a lot of reviews, but I gotta say other than the wiring issue, this pickup is completely awesome, a very serious pickup, for serious musicians looking for versatility and tone, and hell, it was fifty freakin' dollars, Brand New... on sale of course.

This pickup weighs more than the DiMarzio, pretty solid feeling, very slick package, looks awesome (black), and I would say it's going to last, only time will tell. Since I performed the modification myself I feel pretty confident it will be a very dependable asset to my arsenal. I've never heard anything derogatory about Lace Sensors, and that's partially what I'm basing this assessment on.

BenjiH23
    Can this humbucker be split into single coil? I'm thinking of putting one in my Classic Player Jaguar Special HH?