MBK2 Neck P-90 review by Manson

Manson: MBK2 Neck P-90

Price paid: £ 217.5

Purchased from: Mansons Guitar Shop

This pickup is a Bare Knuckle manufactured, Manson Modded P-90, wound to 7k with an Alnico 4 magnet. I love this pickup. I've never been happy with any of my rhythm pickup tones, but this pickup provides a full and smooth bottom end with plenty of attack and clarity in the mids and just enough brightness. Its wonderfully balanced. All I had to do was install and set it to the right height, no messing around with individual screws on top of the pickup plate. There's always room for improvement though, so this gets a 9.

I love everything about the sound of this pickup. I love having a single coil the size of a humbucker in the neck. I installed it in my Epiphone Les Paul for starters (a bit of a quality mismatch, I know) and as soon as I plugged in to my amp I was astounded. I'm in the market for a new guitar now, maybe a Music Man or a Fernandes Monterey. When I get that I might do a bit of a swap around with pickups and see what happens.

It's built solid and looks very rust resistant (pretty sure the casing is all chrome), which is a must for me as I live about 100m from the beach. I'd depend on these pickups in any conditions. I'd still be careful with them though, they cost a pretty penny.