MM106 SlimJim review by Mighty Mite

• Reviewer's score: 1 Junky
  • Users' score: 1 (1 vote)
Mighty Mite: MM106 SlimJim

Purchased from: Lanham Music

The output level is not good. It has the lowest output of any piezo pickup I've ever encountered in the past 35 years. It does not even put out a strong enough output to register a signal on my tuner when I am trying to tune my guitar. The tone is the worst I've ever encountered in a piezo. I have been trying to configure my EQ settings on my multi-FX pedal to try to reduce the "quack" for which piezos are infamous. It just cannot be done with these. And I have tried many different brands from Fishman, Barcus-Berry, LR Baggs, DeArmond, and FRAP.

What do I love about this. Not one single thing. What to I hate: poor tone quality, poor output level, flimsy wiring. As it stands right now, when I have the money, I plan to take the guitar in and have a Fishman Matrix Infinity or an LR Baggs IBeam installed as either one of these will provide a much better sound and can be pre-amped without having to have a hole cut into the side of my guitar.

This is the second guitar I have put one of these into. It will be the last. The first guitar I put one of these in about 6 years ago. I had horrible experiences with it that I thought were due to poor installation. Now I'm convinced the pickup itself is the problem since the second one was installed by a different technician. The wiring is prone to breakage and is not adequately shielded.