Flat 50 Review

manufacturer: Revel Custom Pickups date: 10/15/2015 category: Pickups
Revel Custom Pickups: Flat 50
It has everything a guitar pickup can have, whatever that means.
review (1) pictures (1) 1 comment vote for this gear:
Flat 50 Reviewed by: MikeMichelson, on october 15, 2015

Purchased from: Direct

Sound: A friend turned me on to a local boutique/custom pickup builder. His name is Jesse Revel and his company is Revel Custom Pickups. I wanted to Tele bridge pickup to replace a blade humbucker (I don't know what brand) and he talked to me for probably thirty minutes. He asked what sort of amp I played (a Tweed Champ or a Twin), what sort of Tele it was (partscaster, Alder body), what sort of tone I wanted. We talked about pretty much every aspect and decided on one of his Black Guard pickups. He called this his "Broadcaster" pickup. It has big Alnico 3 pole pieces and is 10k and it HONKS! It cost $45 dollars and is the best bridge pickup I have ever played.

So I gave him another order for a pearly gates type humbucker (my favorite humbucker) and he said he had one just like it called the Perfect Pete. Alnico II. Cost me $75. I put it in the bridge of my Agile (my main slide guitar for playing live) and it is just a sweet, sweet, syrupy pickup. Very clear but smooth, just an awesome sound. So I am now singing the praises of this guy's little pickup business. Can't recommend enough. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The pickups look to be as well built as any I've seen but... it's a guitar pickup. The quality of the "construction" is great. Obviously a lot of attention to detail. Again, not much that can be said about this because it's just a pickup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play country and blues. They were a good match because I asked for pickups that matched what I play. Been playing since I was 15 (am 35 now). The only thing I wish I had asked was about the time it would take to make it. It took two weeks (I didn't understand he builds to order) but it was 100% worth the wait. I would absolutely buy again if it was stolen. I love that it's my pickup for my tone and there is no other pickup like it. I've played so many guitars with so many pickups... these are just so far beyond most of what I've played. It has everything a guitar pickup can have, whatever that means. // 10

Comments