AHB-1 Blackouts review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: AHB-1 Blackouts

Purchased from: Amazon.com

The sound on these pickups is bloody brilliant. I'm using them in my B.C. Rich Afterburner warlock and they sound very meaty and substantially better than the stock BDSM pickups. Output level is very high as expected yet noiseless. For cleans you'll need an amp that won't break up easily as these pickups push out a lot of sound. That said, I could get nice bluesy tones out of them in the neck position with just a touch of gain to round out the sound. For lead/distortion they are extremely heavy and tight sounding. I play all kinds of stuff and with the right EQ, it can be awesome for anything. As for Tone, I would describe it as being heavy and a little scooped. Think Metallica at their best. I used it through a whole host of amps and ran it through in-built distortion as well as a DigiTech RP350. I say it's perfect for both neck and bridge, but if you play a lot of chordsy stuff, stick to a sligtly lower output active pickup like the EMG-60.

I love how it can handle almost all the stuff I throw at it. It sounds really smooth and imo, it's much nicer than comparitive EMG pickups that I've tried. I only hate the fact that mounting it was a pain. They are installed in a B.C. Rich afterburner warlock and I'll be getting the phase-1 7 string versions for my Kramer. It came as a set of both neck and bridge pickups.

The pickup seems very durable and all the parts were there except for height/mounting screws. This was a problem because the pickups couldn't take the original mounting scews, so now they are just stuck into place. II can deffinitely depend on it. I tried all afternoon to make them come off justas a test but they stuck. If your mounting screws fit, then there'll deffinitely be no problem.

ugmung
    wasted-years
    i have never had a dimebucker but i have a buddy that put one one of those goth epiphone v's and i am saving to get one put in my alexi 200
    Death-Reaper
    Was that 175 each or in pair
    NoTaMu
    Death-Reaper wrote: DagMX wrote: schecter_r0cker wrote: how much did these set u back cause im looking at new pups either dimebuckers, or syn custom invaders. these look good 2 tho Was $175 of amazon if i remember correctly. I haven't heard many favorable responses to the dimebucker and the invaders are decent. Was that 175 each or in pair
    DagMX wrote: It came as a set of both neck and bridge pickups.
    Shortbus82
    I just put these in my SG menace, and the old pickups are out the door. These things kick ass way more than EMG's for crushing distortion sound. But as Ive said before if you looking for a sparkling clean sound, dont buy these.
    splicky
    splicky
    Already got EMG-81's in my rr24's. Thinking of going for something differrent for my other guitars. If I like the sound of these I will begin saving for the ESP custom guitar I want made.
    kubitzdeth
    better or worse than the 81/85 set because ive heard amazing things about both but have ony played the emgs im buying some new pickups and active is the only option so its between these and the zakk wylde set or the emg 89 drop coil
    kubitzdeth
    im looking for some new active pickups for my schecter c1 elite so i was wondering these or emg 81/85 set or maybe the 89 drop coil but ive heard great things about emg and seymour duncan so im not sure
    the_addict
    ugmung wrote: splicky wrote: Could These work in a Washburn X40? I want new pick-ups for it and don't know what to get. you could put any pickup you'd like that fits in your guitar. it all depends what sound you're chasing.
    these push out a lot of sound. good for rock-blackmetal. Emgs are more tame and if you want to stick with passives you should go for dimarzio super 2's or X2Ns.
    schecter_r0cker