AHB-3 Mick Thomson EMTY review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: AHB-3 Mick Thomson EMTY

Purchased from: iMuso

I have these pickups in a completely custom Vintage V99 Les Paul and through my Marshall Valvestate 2000 the output is deafening! With the stock Wilkinson pickups I had before at volume at 2-3 it was a descent level of volume now at the same volume I have to turn down to avoid complaints. Through my Marshall and Les Paul they sound warm and deep in tone. The high ends are sharp but not too harsh and the low ends are pounding but are not overwhelming. I have both the bridge and neck pickups and before I wouldn't ever touch the Rhythm pickup but now with the new pots as well I am more inclined to experiment as they are so durable. The treble pickup is awesome for those chugging riffs, leads, anything you can throw at them. I play mainly Metalcore and thrash with this guitar and they are perfect for them now but I also play clean pieces in drop C (EString tuned to D) and get crisp tones that actually sound acceptable from an electric guitar.

I would recommend these to anyone remotely interested in playing any form of rock. If I was gig them a lot, which I aim to do, I would use my Boss-NS 2 to cancel any excess noise, which us considerably less than the old passive pickups.

They're built like tanks! I didn't fit them, I had a local luthier fit them and he couldn't believe the build quality from them and I quote "These make EMGs look like Squier's of the pickup world". My inly concern is the battery, being active pickups, I would always but a fresh set in for gigging.

Blargaha
    @MrTshoff More mids, better for downtuning, higher output. Generally a more brtal pickup
    theoros1994
    Are this pickups good for a dean ml 79 f? I want it for metalcore, melodic metal, and thrash. I use dropped C tuning.
    theoros1994
    Are this pickups good for a dean ml 79 f? I want for metalcore, melodic metal, and thrash. I use dropped C tuning, and i play lead and solos.
    Tonyborbony
    I also play clean pieces in drop C (EString tuned to D)
    How does that work? Isn't drop C like the whole guitar a whole step down with the E string 2 steps? As in C-D-C-F-A-D? Other than that, awesome review, thinking of slapping these (or regular blackouts) into my cheap ass Ibanez. To make her sound as awesome (maybe even awesomer than my Synyster Custom).