APH-1 review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: APH-1

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Used - Kijiji

The Seymour Duncan APH-1 Alnico II pickups are mid strength output pickup with a nice mid-range tone that is nice and clear. I run it through various effects and pedals, but mainly a Peavey Vypyr 30, using many different amp models and effects. Suitable for both neck and bridge, which is my setup.

I have these pickups installed in an older Ibanez AS73, a "lower end" hollowbody. I didn't mind the stock pickups, but they didn't really do the guitar justice, as the construction and feel of it are better than epiphones at less than half the cost. Wow! They brought out the tone of the guitar very nicely in all pickup positions, both clean and high gain. I love the tonal fit in a hollowbody with these pickups, and really am impressed my blues and classic rock/metal tone. I don't play a lot of jazz, but what little gets tossed in sounds pretty damn good, too. I am really impressed with this model of pickup in the guitar they are in, and would expect similar results with a nice Les Paul or SG.

I have several Seymour Duncan pickups installed in various guitars. A pair of SH-1 59's in an Ibanez ART100 Les Paul, and an Invader SH-8 in the bridge position of an Ibanez RGT42DXFX, and and they are all high quality in both sound and manufacture. I am sure they will last and I depend on them almost exclusively.

Skinna
    Stan54
    Skinna wrote: bit of a dumb question but whats the difference between the APH-1 and APH-2 Alnico II pickups??
    The APH-2's are the Slash Edition of Alnico II's and they are wired hotter. They are his signature sound.