APS-1 review by Seymour Duncan

Purchased from: GAK.co.uk

This staggered single coil has a moderate output that is great for bluesy tones. It provides a very Vintage blues sound that is mellow and only gets sharp when you pluck it hard. I normally use it with a Marshall MG15DFX with a little gain. too much makes it sound very noisy, as it is a singlecoil. For die hard Pantera fans, I would find another pickup. The tone is bassy and has some mids, but not a lot of treble unless you pick very, very hard. I would use this in a neck position as it provides a more warmer, bluesy tone. I'll give it ten as I love it's sweet, mellow tone.

I installed this pickup in my rubbish Squier Affinity Strat and I got an incredible tone boost. It's sweet, mellow tone is very beautiful to listen to and is great for blues. I didn't like the fact it can be exposed to coil damage and that I had to use a butter knife to widen the holes in my pickup cover to accomodate the staggered poles. BUt all in all, it is a lovely pickup. I put it in the neck position for a lovely warm ryhthm tone. It rules in the neck positon, I highly reccomend it.

Oh yes, this will last for ages! I don't think there is any problem with the reliabilty or durability of this pickup. I have gigged with it twice on two very big concerts and it never let me down. The only thing that I will nag about is that it has a removable pickup cap- great if you want to customise it, but not good if you want to box it up or store it without the cap. The exposed coils might get damaged this way, so keep the cap on! Otherwise this is a very durable pickup.

shaofu0424
    i have a set of these in my strat... the amps i typically play are a 57 silvertone, mesa blue angel, and a blues jr... i have also played that guitar through various marshall, hiwatt, and a couple of supros i have worked on... these pickups have a complex harmonic spread perfect for tube amps and players who like to ride the volume and tone controls... work really well with 250k pots... not harsh... for digital, i would probably rather have emgs or something similar, but for tube amps these give so much with just a little exploration... keep on rockin in the free world, yall...
    :..*lazy*..:
    zora350 wrote: I wonder how many "big concerts" he has lugged that mg to.
    Kevin Saale wrote: I use the MG for practise- I use AVT's for concerts. Kind of hard to take a review seriously when they're playing on an MG.
    GunLeatherGuy
    Ive got two Lite Ash Strats with these as the OEM pickups....but they use 500K pots...which makes the neck and mid pickups sing....but the bridge is very bright. My favorite Strat pickups....Ive also got Tex specials, Tex Mex and Lace Sensors....all give very different sounds.
    sg4ever
    jannick wrote: MG is better than any VOX...
    I dare you to crank the MG up all the way, crank a Vox AC30 up all the way, then repeat. I'm sure that by now you know better though...LOL