SA-3HC Woody HC review by Seymour Duncan

Purchased from: Gear Tree via eBay

I only use this pickup when playing bars around town. I plug into my buddy's EQ and that's it. The tone is very nicely balanced, maybe a bit middy without the EQ. It's never been "overpowered" by the other guy's elec/acoustic, so output level is no issue. It doesn't alter or shape the sound of the guitar at all. It just makes it come alive. Tone shaping is pretty limited, but the pickup can be moved around the soundhole a bit to produce some different tones. I prefer to angle it slightly so the side toward low E is closer to the bridge. I've found that this gives my guitar the best balance. Zero hum from this baby, as advertised.

I bought this pickup because it was a far cheaper alternative to buying an electric/acoustic. I hook it up to my Martin DX1, and they really play well together. I never feel like I'm hearing a pickup, I feel like I'm hearing my Martin. I love the simplicity of this pickup. No batteries to change, no circuitry within the guitar to deal with. If you want to get loud, just pop it on, plug it in, and wail away. The 14' cord is nice quality, but sometimes it's a bit short. I highly recommend the Woody to anyone seeking an inexpensive way to plug their Acoustic in. I would buy it for myself again, and a couple folks will be getting them for Christmas this year, too.

It's a pickup. What could possibly go wrong? The only question mark here is how long the cord will hold up. It's a high quality cord, but everything has its breaking point. However, at $45, it'd hardly break my heart (or my wallet) to have to buy a new one.

Zip!
    Very disappointed with mine. It fits very neatly into the soundhole of my Tanglewood, but there is masses of electrical interference and very low signal output. Am plugging into a H&K tubemeister 36, which works nice and noise-free with my (single coiled) fender strat!