SH-12 George Lynch Screamin' Demon review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-12 George Lynch Screamin' Demon

Purchased from: Victor Litz

I bought two, one in 1997 and the other in 2004. The one from 1997 was first put in a Randy Rhoads/Jackson's bridge position, took it out and decided to put in my 1974 Gibson Les Paul Custom's neck position. Rated at 10k Ohms with an Alnico magnet, this pickup was a dream come true. I wanted a more ballsier/meaner PAF pickup in the neck slot when I soloed... This pickup burns clean/semi evil. The Screamin' Demon is like a Pearl Gates with more attitude... With a tube screamer, we're talkin' Billy Gibbons pazzaz. When I lowered the volume knob to 5 on down, you can get a nice acoustic type tone like with a DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell or a DiMarzio Eric Johnson pickup.

The other guitar, I put it in a S,S,H configured Super Strat with a Fender Custom Shop Texas Special in the neck, a DragonFire Duo Rail (like an S.D. Cool Rail) and the Demon on the bridge. I wanted a guitar that would be more dynamic under heavy gained amps and this pickup burns with dynamics and versatility. Especially with a 7-way sound tap to, get a neck -bridge combo, on the 5-way switches #1 slot and all 3 pickups on the #2 position of a 5 way pickup selector switch.

One of the best pick up made. I don't care what brand a pick is, as long as it compliments, the wood of the body/neck well, the pots/caps in the guitars circuits, the effects board and amps. I put a Bill Lawrence XL-500 in the neck slot of my 1974 Gibson LPC, but went for the S.D. Screamin' Demon instead. On the Superstrat, the pickup gave me the classic George Lynch/Billy Gibbons stomp and complemented the (N) Texas Special and the DragonFire Duo Rail in the middle. On both guitars, the harmonics were easy to attain, palm muting was dynamic and in both guitars, the legato and staccato picking were full sounding and robust.

I run my signal: guitar to a S.D. Pickup Booster, VHT Valvulator, Boss GE-7 band EQ, DigiTech RP-12, RP-1, a rack with two 31 band EQ, a 12 Parametric band EQ, a BBE 462 Sonic Maximizer and Hush/Rocktron Noise Reduction units into either my Carvin X-100B, VHT PittBull, Mesa Boogie Mark V or my DigiTech 2112 rack unit with Carvin or Crown power amps. This is one of the best neck pickups you could put in the neck position if you want to have a PAF with more attitude and great PAF dynamics. It's really a medium powered pickup, not meant for down tuning or black metal.