SH-12 George Lynch Screamin' Demon review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-12 George Lynch Screamin' Demon

Purchased from: Atomic Music

AMAZING! I was shopping and trying a 59 and a PG, but when I heard this pickup, I knew I found what I was looking for. Great clean tones, not too much treble, but enough to cut through on the licks you want to. The chords sound almost like a 12-string, warm, smooth, but not too full that it sounds muffled. And the harmonics, it is a peer to my expensive Custom Shop 78 I have in the bridge. I never thought to try the SH12, but once I did, that was my neck pickup for my Ibby Prestige. It si hard to find a pickup that has all the tones you want, when you want them, but this pickups seems to be able to do just that. When you play down low, you want to aggressive mids and lows, but not so much that you sound muddy, and that is exactly what you get here, clean mids and lows, never any muddiness. Usually when you get the great lows, you have to give up something, which is usually you high end sound. However it was done, this pickup seems to not lose anything up top to achieve the great lows. This tonal range works equally well for both clean and distorted channels, amazing that 1 pickup can sound like 2 in the same package.

I's a SD, so I know it will last. However, since mine came in used, I had some TLC to do. The previous owner trimmed the leads down to 4 inches, to I had to add back 10 inches to them and do it right since I did not have a lot to work with. Then I had to remake the outer insulation with some heat tubing, and I also might have to fix the ribbon around the outside. Since it came to me in a throw-away guitar, I did not expect it to be perfect. But, with 15 mins of love, it was back to normal. The sound never faltered even with all the neglect. Mine measures out a 9.98 Ohm, has 4 wires, and is labeled 12 BJ on the bottom.

So, I didn't pay $199 for it, I got a complete Ibby EX series that came with this in the neck, and I never even knew it. I bought the Ibby for the parts, and never expected to get a SD pickup. So, I was glad when I saw this SD, yet I never heard of or even considered a SH12, I was looking for either a 59 or a PG for the neck position I was trying to fill. Once I rehab-ed this pickup, I wanted to test it to make sure I wired it properly, and I wound up playing for over an hour on my test guitar because this pickup really surprised me. Since I have been a die-hard EVH fan, I never really cared for this Lynch based pickup, but now I might even listen to a Dokken album just to see who backed this great pickup! I you have not heard or considered one of these, you should, you will be missing out if you don't.