SH-13 Dimebucker review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-13 Dimebucker

Purchased from: eBay (used)

Seymour Duncan SH-13 Dimebucker humbucker for bridge position. High output ceramic magnets with stainless steel blades clearly aimed at high gain players. Sound is scooped, aggressive, razor sharp, treble boosted, clear, punchy and defined. Over the top voicing and high output may detract from it's musicality for many players. Plugged into my inexpensive SS Peavey Rage 108 it produced thin fizzy high gain tones that I had never experienced coming from the small amp, so much that I feared for it's life. Through my VHT Pittbull UL it gave searing harmonic startling clear defined leads and once I got over my initial shock I had a blast with it's sound. I enjoyed it much more with playing with my band than I did practicing. It did reasonable cleans through the ULs Stellar clean channel... Sort of. Whew!

This pickup is certainly not for everyone, in fact it's for a very few. It's a one trick pony metal type high gain lead pickup. It comes only in black and the look of the blades is almost as polarizing as it's sound. I would hesitate to put this in a rhythm players guitar of ANY style of music. I had this in my Charvel USA production San Dimas 2 Tele which is a pretty serious hunk of alder and it destroyed it's balanced tone if that's what you're after. Not for thin sounding guitars or sloppy players. As for the Dimebag "endorsement" apparently the pickup is a copy of the actual Bill Lawrence model Darrell Abbott used and he did not play these, so don't be confused by advertising. If you own one guitar and a modest amp many more well rounded pickups are out there, but if your thing is hurtling kitchen knives, look no further.

Hand made in Santa Barbara, California, USA! contributes to the high price. Comes with a special angled gloss black pickup ring. Seems high quality.. it didn't catch on fire. Guys are dumping these because it's not there thing. BUY a USED one if you gotta have one. I saved $55 over Guitar Center price!

JohnMerrick
    meh ... not that great of a pickup ... if you really want dimebag's tone the bill lawrences are probably better
    SaintsinneR82
    ok...ive had this pickup in my lespaul for bout a year as my bridge PUP...thsi thing is nasty..for metal punk hardcore..whatever...if its an overdriven tone you want this pickups really delivers..as far as cleans..and never really sweated using it for cleans cause i always play my cleans thru my neck pickups which is a duncan 59...IMO dope setup..im selling mine now cause my paul is done for..so im parting it out..
    sewoo55
    anyone with a brain would know that dimebag didn't use this pickup in the studio. dimebag used a different pickup from bill lawrence and he only used the dimebucker for live performances
    wizardy16120
    ive got one of these in the bridge position of my schecter diamond series omen-6, and it is amazing! i couldnt ask for a better sound
    wizardy16120
    Suzukara
    As a genuin Pantera fan, i installed the dimebucker on my BC-Rich biatch, and it really really was worth the 110 overpriced euros i paid here in Greece. I use a KRANK Revolution+ head, with Peavey 5150 full stack cabins and GOD on not even high revs of the volume, i can hear the bricks dancing on the wall... really heavy and kicking sound, just the way i wanted it. Not that the BC-Rich was a jazz guitar, but i wanted iron hammer sound and im not disspointed at all. Good job Santa Barbarians!!!
    Suzukara
    forgot to mention that the bc-rich stock pickup replaced the one of my old guitar, a gibson epiphone, and it really got metalized... so even better, two upgrades on the price of one!
    NitroCam
    im gonna put this in my epiphone goth v... metal \m/
    HeartaGramFan wrote: I have this pickup in my gibson v its pretty sweet shit
    JStrummyStrings
    I'm thinkin' about slapping this pick up in the bridge position with a SH-8 invader in the neck of my RG3EXFM1, think thats a good idea? If not, What Bridge pick up would go great with an invader neck? lookin' for a good metal like tone, but not too much bass? something that face melting highs.
    JStrummyStrings
    wizardy16120 wrote: sewoo55 wrote: the cleans are not so good... for ppl like me who are EXCEPTIONALLY concerned about the sound quality of the cleans and not just the distortion wouldn't wanna buy this pickup its true that the clean tone isnt amazing. thats why, if you like the distorted sound of this, you put in a neck pickup that has a great clean tone
    Think the dimebucker would go well with an an SH-8 Invader Neck?