SH-13 Dimebucker review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-13 Dimebucker

Purchased from: South Shore Music

This is a high output humbucker using a ceramic magnet which really pushes the treble side of dynamics. I use no pedal effects through a Vox VT20+. An odd amp/pickup combo, I admit, but there is a good setting for modern metal in this amp which I use most. I couldn't imagine placing this pickup anywhere other than the bridge position.

Upgrading the Peavey guitar I had was not really the best idea in my novice years, but it was a learning experience for sure. I hadn't touched that guitar in many years and recently swapped it into the bridge position of my Schecter C-1 + which I use now. I can say its a MUCH better fit in this guitar and the configuration I play it in. I play in D-standard and use ERnie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom strings (10-52). This pickup was made for thick strings and low tunings. And no, you won't sound like Dime with it. That is marketing and nothing else. Unless you have his exact rig, you won't get close to it which can really be said to any "tone chaser". If you plan on playing in standard tuning with light gauge strings then I hope you play black metal because that's the sound you'll get. This pickup gets a lot of hate, but you need to use it for a certain sound and have a decent amp and guitar to play it through. Even so, you better like treble 'cause that's what you're getting, this thing squeals.

I bought this pickup nearly 10 years ago to upgrade the stock pickups of a Peavey Firenza in my youth. I hadn't touched that guitar in many years after upgrading to other guitars and recently swapped it into my current most played guitar with no issue. This thing lasts, as should most any pickup if given care (but this one wasn't!).