SH-14 Custom 5 review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-14 Custom 5

Purchased from: ebay

The Custom 5 is a pickup for those who like the basic sound of the "JB" but want it to have more low-end power. Best in the bridge position, this pickup has the attack of the well-loved "JB" humbucker but it does give more bass response and sounds more modern as opposed to the sizzling mids of the aforementioned JB. Great for hard rock and some metal, and has been a great addition to both my old Les Paul and my old Kramer Pacer Imperial.

I believe this pickup was a very worthy addition to the Duncan lineup. The JB is a legendary humbucker that has tons of harmonics and is a benchmark in terms of tone, but the Custom 5 gives the option of having almost all the same qualities in a bridge pickup that hits harder in the low frequencies...and actually cleans up decently. An excellent pickup for most rock/metal uses!

I've used Duncans for over 20 years, and I've yet to actually kill one. I've swapped 'em out plenty of times because I love playing with different tones in my guitars, but I've never had a defective unit yet. Neither Custom 5 has given me any trouble, and I've had them both for a couple of years now.

killingtime0317
    just put this in my SG and I have to say it was the best choice of pick up for this guitar I've ever heard, I run my guitar straight into an eq pedal and then to my 6505 and its a screamer...done deal for me, nothing better.
    Blargaha
    @pyrofication Basswood is a very mid heavy wood, I don't see why not. The problem with basswood is knowing if you have a good piece of wood (haha, good - wood), since it's generally pretty cheap
    dennis22opina
    ToneScavenger
    ure=related Here's the guitar specs: http://www.guitarsatbmusic.com.au/esp/guitars/sigs eries/loureiro.htm I think it's a pretty balanced sound myself and I like it a lot. Good luck!
    ToneScavenger
    ToneScavenger wrote: dennis22opina wrote: Will this pickup sound good on Alder body and Ebony fretboard? or willl it sound too trebly? You could judge by yourself by listening to Kiko Loureiro's Signature ESP guitar tone. He's got the wood combination described in your question:
    Here's another example with less gain:
    related