SH-14 Custom 5 review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-14 Custom 5

Purchased from: McKnight Guitar Company

I replaced a DiMarzio Suer Distortion in the bridge with this pick up and what a difference it made! Great output, clear, and well scooped. It gave me great feedback response. I use this live with my Fender Super Sonic amp and get compliments on my tone.

This pickup is perfect for the kind of music. I play in a 90s tribute band which requires a lot of tonal differences. I installed this in a Peavey HP Special EX with HSH configuration. I have the Custom 5 in the bridge, DiMarzio Virtual Blues in the middle, and a DiMarzio PAF 36th Anniversary in the neck and I can deliver any sound with this guitar.

Seems good so far.

Tallwood13
    In this LTD 27 fret if I was to keep the guitar I'd get rid of it. It's got too harsh of highs. It's the first time I've ever used the tone knob. I like high output, I've got a hotter pickup in my bc rich warlock. I'd honestly rather a JB or distortion, dare I say a black winter as acoustically the 27 fret sounds fantastic.
    Danessz
    I tried out couple of pickups, mostly Duncans. I always thought the TB4 is the best pickup you could choose, but honestly there were a little something what I always missed. Nothing special. I thought that if one day Seymour Duncan would offer me they would do a Signature pu maybe we would customize the TB4. But then I tried out this one. Bricks were shat. It's a lot like TB4, but it has it's own character. It's very full and rich, picking attack is extremly good, and finally a moderate output pickup. But even it's not a high output, it has an agressive charater. I play metal, and some more traditional Classic rock. It's quite amazing how it can handle all this. First i play Dream Theater songs, then the classic Smoke on the water. And the coil tap... It has just one of the best coil tapped clean sounds i've ever heard.