SH-15 Alternative 8 review by Seymour Duncan

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Seymour Duncan: SH-15 Alternative 8

Purchased from: Capitol Guitars

About 3 years ago or so I had heard about Seymour Duncan releasing a HOT pickup featuring an Alnico VIII. I was curious as I had already been a big fan of some of the other pickups like the Screamin' Demon and Custom 5. Everything written about this pickup doesn't do justice, its a very powerhouse bridge pickup putting out at about 17k. Compared to most HOT bridge pickups its very bright and toneful. The lows are thunderous and smooth not dark and harsh. The mids are punchy but no mid range spike and the highs cut like a samurai sword. It sounds even better paired with a 1 meg pot, also excellent choice for push/pull operations.

Again this is a bridge pickup and I installed it into a 3 pickup Les Paul. I was looking for something powerful, but with tone and character. The Alternative 8 came knockin and delivered the goods. Its a damn mighty pickup that deserves to be put into more bridge pickups. Its versatile enough for metal, classic rock, blues rock and any other guitar related stuff. I can't think of one thing bad about it, so if you want something different in a bridge pickup this is the powerhouse to tango with.

I've had this pickup for over 3 years now and had never had any problems with it whatsoever. You could probably play a world tour with this thing and never have any issues. Then again I've never had a Seymour Duncan pickup fail on me, otherwise I wouldn't brag about it. Besides I think its safe to say that Seymour Duncan pickups come with a warranty. Even if it stopped working I'd go out any buy 1 or 2 or 10. Its that reliable of a bridge pickup to put in one guitar, if you really rely on its tone then yeah go ahead and put it in others too.

breadfan82
    Just installed this into my Dean. Loving it so far. It's got a lot of attitude for sure.