SH-1 '59 review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-1 '59

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Kijiji - Used

This is Seymour Duncan's version of the venerable DiMarzio PAF. I used PAF's 25 years ago and loved the balanced, warmer tone. Checking SD's website, they state that the pickup really shines with a mahogany body and rosewood fingerboard, and that is the material of my Ibanez ART100 that they went into. Clean, or dirty, you can hear your chords just sing, and the sustain for a passive pickup is awesome. Output level is nice and high, but enough to lose the tone.

Love the tone curve of this pickup, along with the output level it works for a lot of styles and amp types. It really shines in an all mahogany neck thru with a rosewood fingerboard, which was a bonus for me because those are my favorite materials for an electric. Bought a pair for neck/bridge and love it to death. I know some use a beefier pup in the bridge for flexability, but I like 2 '59s. Make a $450 investment for guitar and pups into a $1200 amazing sounding guitar.

The pickup is typical Seymour Duncan quality, all aspects show great workmanship. Wired in easily and came with a wiring diagram. Bought them lightly used, installed in a Gibson Les Paul Standard. No problems so far and of course I depend on it, as I did the install and setup!

MetallMaiden
    i'm think of buying this and either an sh-6 or a JB for my epi sg did you get the single conductor or the 4 conductor cable on the pickup?
    Rendz
    i have this Pickup installed in my guitar and its just great, its very clean, clear and smooth.