SH-1 '59 review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-1 '59

I have this pickup placed in the neck position of my LTD F-100FM (basswood body w/ maple top). Most of the time I use it through a Randall RG amplifier, but I have also played it with an Orange Rockerverb 30, and Peavey 6505+. No matter what level of gain or distortion, I could not find a horrible tone out of this pickup. On cleans, it is pure bliss. The high end remains glassy on the attack, yet it still maintains a warm butteriness on the midrange and bass. It is perfect for jazzy clean interludes. On low distortion, it is fat and punchy. They weren't kidding when they say vintage. Blues and rock really Shine with this. Sustain and tone are tons better than with the stock PUs. Now for the high gain: ... My... God. If shredding can kill you, then I have died a happy man as soon as I struck a note. It amazes me how well it can handle brootal distortion when this is such an angel with lighter styles of music. Harmonics scream, and it still maintains that fat midrange that I have come to love. It is extremely versatile, which is a godsend for my eclectic tastes. I sincerely recommnd this. I only have the neck version though, so please keep that in mind if you plan on buying for the bridge position.

Well, I am primarily a metal player (I admit it). But, I love blues, jazz, and Acoustic music. It works for all of this. Whether you are tapping, bending, squealing, sweeping, or fingerpicking away on your axe, you will be satisfied. The only thing is I wish I bought the four conductor version for custom wiring. This is a product that truly deserves high ratings. Enjoy.

Now there are some scratches on the cover from my picking. But it is of no concern, since it is barely noticable, and it doesn't affect the tone. The wire came shield with insulation and braiding wrapped around it. No worries when it comes to durability, unless you are nitwit.

bhatta
    I have this on my samick av3 for sometime now. Have to say, sounds sweet n clean. But yes, boomy at times... I don't mind that! I intend to have a ad jazz bridge pup put in with that...sometime...
    The Interlude
    that is a rare tone wood. as for the combo with the l500xl, it should work very well. i think dimebag darrell had that combo in his lighting strike dean guitar. but, that guitar was made of mahogany with a maple top. i am not too familiar with that wood though, so I can't comment on that.