SH-4 JB review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-4 JB

Purchased from: MCM

This thing is sweeeet! The high output from this thing sounds awesome through any kind of amp (ESP. marshalls obviously). I use it through some wee rubbish Vox that I have but, even still, it sounds really cool. It's incredibly balanced and offers really low, punchy tones as well as a really clear sound up high. It's reeaally good for palm muting btw; something my stock pickups were lacking. I've got it in my bridge position but I think you can get neck position ones too. All I would say is that it's not very warm when put through a clean tone, might just be me though.

I got this put in my guitar to replace the stock pickup that was in the bridge (got an APH-1 in the neck) and it definitely upgraded my guitar. It could have been a completely different guitar for all I knew! I've got a Spear Gladius (awesome btw) and they work perfectly together. Price-wise, the JB is really good value for money. I'm not sure how much it costs in other places, but where I got it, it was the cheapest Seymour Duncan there. I'm really glad my friend recommended it to me and I would pass the recommendation on to anyone.

Trust me, there's a higher chance of the headstock of my guitar falling off before this pickup fails. For the price I paid for it, I am seriously impressed. It seems to be built like a rock and I would definitely recommend it to anyone. I totally rely on it and I think it should last the complete lifetime of my guitar.

imperialfury
    Any idea what it would sound like in my Alexi-200? I heard that Will Adler uses one so I may be putting one in
    Bob_Sagget
    came stock in my Jackson and there alright but to get any kind of treble bight the tone knob has to be at 8 or 9 and its kinda anoying. great pickup just needs more of a tonal range and i tried this through a PRS an Ibanez (sounded terrible) and a Gibson SG (perfect).
    NakedInTheRain
    How does this react to high gain? Say, if it was played through a Boss Metal Core with the gain around 7.
    Quinlan
    Not many people are going to know what a specific pickup sounds like through a specific rig. These are pretty common in most med-higher end guitars, so go to the shop and try a few under your given conditions.
    speedfreak_808
    SAVE_US.DWD wrote: im getting the epiphone G-400 1966 reissue and was wondering if i should get these pick-ups or Seymour Duncan some pearly gates? i haven't been playing that long and one of my friends said these another said the pearly gates
    Listen to some samples. It's all up to you. I used this pickup in the bridge and a jazz in the neck and it's versatile and brilliant.
    reddeltasev
    How about 2 JBs, in both positions? I know the Jackson KV2 has that stock, so, yeah.....
    7thSonOf7thSon
    got one on my hss strat... beautiful. this pickup was designed for jeff beck but this is one of the most versatile pickups you can buy... is perfect for a janick gers/ maiden tone (janick actually uses this pickup now)
    SupersonicJSX
    I kno how the new verison sounds. I love it. My uncle gave me a vintage one. Think there would be any improvements in tone?
    GuernZila
    Whats the difference between the sh4 JB and the plain old sh4 that comes with the hod rodded humbucker set? seen here. If any
    GuernZila
    oops i acidetaly hit post coment ut there is no difernce its the same pickup
    bla556
    bluechameleon18 wrote: Will they (SH2 & JB) sound good on an RG (mine's a 370DX)?
    it definitely will sound better than the stock pickups. i have put the hot rodded set in my ltd and it simply rocks
    jrowen368
    I just put one in my jackson performer. I run through a line 6 spider 3 with my own prgrams. It is well worth the money!
    legallydead