SH-4 JB review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-4 JB

Purchased from: used

This pickup has big bass response, and prominent high-mids. This pickup is NOT thin or shrill, in fact it has very sweet midrange. You can expect instant 80's rhytm rock tones, it is bright, but sound soft at the same time. It can nail Van Halen tones very convincingly. - Lead tones, this pickup really sings, it has this "bloom" quality that's hard to describe. very beautiful lead tone. - High gain and modern sound, this pickup sounds real HEAVY for rhytm - due to it's big bass response - The clean isn't the best, it's too honky sometimes, but it is definitely usable. The only drawbacks of this pickup, is due to it's BIG bass, it's not very tight and the bass may sound overwhelming.. of course it depends on what amp and guitar are you using.. You can make careful adjustment to the pickup height to make it a little tighter.. You can also try to wire it parallel or split the coil, that will tone down the bass considerably and add more crunch at the same time.. IMO, if someday SD make a new pickup that sounds like the JB, but with TIGHT low end, that might be the best bridge pickup ever made.. I'm serious!

This is the pickup that comes with my first electric guitar, so this is the one I grow up and develop as a player with. I've been using many pickups since, but still in my opinion the the JB is one of the best bridge pickup available. This pickup has it's Shine and flaws, so I try to make this review as objective/not biased as possible. I hope it will help describing what should you expect if you're going to put it on your own guitar. My guitar is an 80s Ibanez AR-300, mahogany body, without plugging It sounds warm and thick like typical les paul but a bit more bass, and a bit more treble/edge. Hope this review helps!

It's build so solid, It's very dependable..

Brownerz
    Would this give a nice metalcore tone? Or is it more classic Heavy Metal like metallica and maiden?
    jacklord22
    Im Building my frankenstrat a friend gave me a SH-4 would this be a good pickup for this project or a 59 humbucker ?