SH-6 Distortion Humbucker review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-6 Distortion Humbucker

Purchased from: www.musiciansfriend.com

This pickup has a medium-high output, though the description might suggest more on the Seymour Duncan website. It's most suitable for bridge possition, and has great tone, yet lacks sustain especially on the high end. On the duncan site it suggests that this pickup is one of the highest treble rated pickups they have, but I honestly doubt that, considering that even the most ass kicking of pinch harmonics come out as tiny squeals. I'd say the tone is more midds than anything, especially when coupled with a solid bodied guitar. I think perhaps the solid body might eat up all the highs because of the faster resonance or something along those lines, I'm no expert. I'm using it with mostly Vox gear, and who knows, maybe Vox just has weak distortion, and I just never heard about it, but from my experience with other guitars, the distortion from this pickup is about mid-level, and nothing spectacular. However, it is GREAT for classic rock and blues, and when paired with the Pearly Gates pickup I have in the neck possition, it makes nice jazzy tones, if I set the tone pot around 4-6.

It's a good pickup in my oppinion. When I got it, I wanted a hot pickup with fat tone, and squealing high-end, which it is not, so at first I was a little dissapointed. But later, I found that it has a great tone for blues, jazz, even Indie, and alternative, it has a very warm sound, and is totally reliable. I have it set in the bridge possition in my Les Paul, and it sounds great. It's not the face melting metal machine i imagined it as from the name, and description on the site, but it has good tone, and it's a nice pickup either way. I'd suggest it to anyone who wants to play anything other than metal.

It's a VERY reliable, and durrable pickup. I've spilled drinks on it, put it WAY too close to active speakers for long periods of time, and taken it out and put it back in ALOT of times, and it still sounds just the way it did when I got it. If you want a reliable pickup, mostly anything by Seymour Duncan is good for just that.

Panasonic3
    Ive got this baby in my bridge position in my SE Custom. I play death metal, and (combined with with my Dimebucker) makes for very fat tone. Squealies are rather weak, but my other pickup more than makes up for the sustain problem. good pickup, good review, though it sounds like you ranked a little high, in your opinion.
    Soloist96
    I have this in a Yamaha RGX 211M, Gibson Les Paul and USA Jackson Soloist. On the Yamaha it sounds better than a Strat. It's bright and has that nice twang. Pure blues machine. On the Les Paul it sounds very metal. Opeth like deep warm tone even tho it seems to have less power than on the Yamaha. And on the Jackson Soloist it sounds more to the metal side again. It has more power than the gibson and has a more mid cut tone. Think Testement trash metal. Keep in mind i use a Mesa Roadster Head. 1988 Yamaha RGX 211M - Basswood = BRIGHT,TWANG,SRV,ALBERT COLLINS BLUES TONE 2000 Gibson Les Paul Studio - Mahogony = Opeth, Megadeth, deep sounding mix cutting mid boosted machine. 2005 USA Jackson Select Series SL2h - Alder = This is more Testement, Metallica sounding. so ya...i know about this pickup I have had 3 of them.
    oneblackened
    My SH-6 in my alder-bodied guitar is very high output and crisp. Vox amps aren't known for having great distorion, btw.
    benx3000
    Lol youve spilled drinks on it? Anyways, I have one in the neck on an epiphone les paul standard, and it sounds alright. Its pretty much awful clean by itself, but with the seymour duncan jazz i have in the neck, you can get great reggae tones. With distortion its pretty good, a bit less high output than youd think but its about a 7/10 overall. The jazz is better in my opinion. And i play hardcore and pretty much every subgenre of that.