SH-8 Invader review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-8 Invader

Purchased from: Warmoth

This is a VERY hot pickup. It has loads of bass so be prepared to re-equalize your amps. I currently am using this pickup in a Fender Highway One Strat played through a Line 6 Spider Valve 112. The tone is bassy as I said above. The pickup, in general, has anything you could possibly wish for in a heavy metal pickup if you don't mind sacrficing the clean tone. I play a lot of punk, metal, and alternative music and in my opinion, I like the clean tone. The pickups bass helps contribute to a nice clean tone, but because this is such a high output pickup, you get a little dirt even on the clean channel.

This is a very good quality pickup. I love everything about it when I have it on my distortion channel, but if they could find a way to make the clean tone more "clean" then this would be the perfect pickup for me. The alder wood in my strat is a counterweight to the Invader because of the wood's brightness and all of the pickup's bass. It's one of those pickups you just have to try. It doesn't look like any other pickup out there and has a very unique sound. If you have some spare time and money, I highly recommend at least trying this pickup out.

I wired this pickup myself and it was an easy install. Top notch wiring diagrams from the Seymour Duncan website. The pickup is very quiet and can handle loads of distortion quite well. The pickup has lasted me for the time being and I don't expect any problems from the Seymour Duncan quality.

whitey255
    Zeldaik wrote: Anyone know any good settings for tone with these.
    if you want a punk sound (realy common with these babies), put the conture up fulla nd you lead on 3 -4. but i have a marshall jcm 900 high gain dual reverb, and it dosnt have a conture knob so i just chuck the gain up full and it blows peoples minds away
    Ne0Assass1n
    oakn wrote: Every time someone put a review on a pickup thats not EMG, everybody goes "EMG is the best". Well I say f*ck you, the choice of pickups is totaly individual. I have EMG 81 and 85 in my Les Paul, and a Gibson 500T in my SG and I can tell that i like passive pickups more than active ones. Active EMG pickups sort of... takes the character out of the guitar. I haven't tried active pickups from some other brand than EMG, maybe other brands are better. And a thing to have in mind in the war between passive and active pickups, In the early recordings of Nile they used passive Jazz-pickups and the sound they got is much heavier than many bands out there with their pretty little EMG 81/85 set. On topic, I've wanted to try the SD Invader for a long time, just becouse many says that it is a damn good pickup and some says that it's the shittiest SD ever made. And as we say in Sweden "The taste is like the butt, parted".
    EMG 81/85 in a LP *bows*