SH-8 Invader review by Seymour Duncan

• Reviewer's score: 7 Good
Seymour Duncan: SH-8 Invader

Purchased from: La Nota

Put my SH-8B in my modded to hell Schecter Omen-6 with .09 D'Addario NYXL strings. This is a really high output pickup. Turned the gain on my amp down a lot, which is a benefit, cause I wont get as much feedback. But if you like your trebles, scratch this pup out, unless you got a rig with many tweaking options, cause I got my treble all the way up and never found a sweet spot. Its dark sounding, I feel its great for the times, which does not happen to suit my style. Though, I would highly recommend it for rhythm guitar with few leads or solos. Its heavy as hell and since its a tad muddy, any mistake doesnt scream out too bad. I did find another interesting sound, put the bridge pup on the neck for cleans, absolutely adored the cleans that way. Back to the bridge, unless you play heavy, it doesnt suit other genres at all. Loses its attitude that way. And yes, it is muddy, but the good kind of muddy for rhythm, bad kind for leads. I would of loved this pickup during my first 3 years of playing, heavy and with an attitude, but 15+ years your tastes expande and this isnt a diverse pickup. Also harmonics sound bland. Would keep it around if I had a third spare guitar (maybe). Rate it a 7 for lack of diversity.

The only grudge I have with it are the Hex screws, 1. Cause the 4th one was the only I couldn't raise (magnet would pull it back to place, unlike the rest, put a piece of rolled up tape to keep it up) and 2. I find it a tad tacky looking if you got the white pickup with black screws, kinda looks like when someone has huge nipples, but on a guitar pickup. Plus the hex screws are thicker than their regular screws, so not easy to mod or swap pieces. The rest was just fine, cables in place, coils stay put. No issue with that. Swapped it about 4 times and never had an issue with it. Rate it a 7 cause I was really upset about that 4th hex screw.

It's really not for people with diverse styles, or few guitars, not for modders either. It's brutal in its own world of thick brutality, modern metal players would love it just as is, but I can't image it for other genres. Personally, I'm gonna get rid of mine. It was cool for about a week. Wish I investigated a bit more, seeing how no bands I listen to use pickups that resemble this one at all. But that's my bad, and its cool cause it was the first time I ever bought pickups. Live and learn. Still, good to go for rhythm, and if you wanna stick with one style.

1981kramer
    Had Invaders since they were first made. Searing tone, and balls enough so that ya don't need those batteries for pickups. In my tone journey since 1979, EMG's are undoubtedly powerful, but are sterile, uniform and anemic. Invaders kick their ass, they dont need batteries (crutches), and the tone is there. Asskickers.