SH-8 Invader review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SH-8 Invader

Purchased from: Musicians friend

I bought this pickup for one purpose and one purpose alone, and that is crushing colossal metal tone and this pickup does precisely that. While I've heard people claiming that this pickup is muddy and horrible sounding, I can assure you that is not the case. When played on a good amp, this pickup sounds amazing. It is very full sounding with a powerful deep end sound, however even with the impressive output, it's actually clearer than its imitators like kmise and Dragonfire/TNT guitars. The pickup belts out palm mutes like a M-60 and it isn't painfully high-pitched or grading on your ears like a Dimarzio X2N or Lace Deathbucker. Very deep and gritty, but not unpleasant. Incredibly solid sounding.

When holding this pickup in hand, it feels like it's built like a tank solid and heavy. The wire even feels high quality and had no detectable flaws. If my guitar were to break I'm certain the pickup would survive, I would simply salvage the pickup and re-install it on another guitar. Even though I say it feels solid, for a long life I do not advise testing its structural integrity, after all its built to pickup sound not take hammer blows. The paint chips off the pole pieces, but that is to be expected with paint. However, if treated properly and not intentionally abused, this pickup should easily outlive the guitar it is installed on.

If you're like me and all you care about is incredible power and killer Rock or Metal tone, then this is pickup will not disappoint. I do not exaggerate or lie when I say, this is my favorite passive pickup out of all the ones ever seen and heard. If it were lost or stolen, I would buy another one without a second thought. When I installed this pickup in My JS series Jackson V, it was a massive difference from the stock Jackson passive humbucker. The SH-8 is Deeper, fuller, it has more output and it's overall ominous sounding. I have to watch myself because this pickup sounds so good that I really get into what I'm playing and start to play harder on my guitar. I know Sound is highly subjective to the observer and beauty is in the eye of the beholder but I genuinely love the sound of this pickup, it suits me perfectly, I give it a 10/10. I wouldn't change anything about this pickup at all. It's already perfect as is.