SHR-1 Hot Rails Review

manufacturer: Seymour Duncan date: 02/04/2008 category: Pickups

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

High output single-coil-size "rails" humbucker. Great for classic rock, garage, punk, heavy rock, thrash, classic metal and nu-metal.
 9.3
 8.6
 17,863
review (1) 24 comments vote for this gear:
SHR-1 Hot Rails Reviewed by: darkarbiter7, on february 04, 2008

Sound: I believe around the 16k mark last time I checked. I (had) it on my Strat, running into my Peavey classic. The tone is bassy and crunchy, with a rolled off top end. But it was in the bridge position, so it automatically had a trebly bite although the pickup itself was bassy. Overall sound was quite good, but real bad for finger picking (picked up a lot of noise when your fingers hit the strings). // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's a pickup. This one seemed pretty durable. It's a nice fiberboard bobbin, and the windings were potted and wrapped well. It's a pickup, the chances are pretty low for it to die right on stage. I think I've dropped it several times before (I took it out and replaced it several times), and still worked fine. and all the solder joints were solid. // 10

Overall Impression: It's pretty darn good. It's great for nirvana and such, and it does it's job well. However, tone freaks probably will think a fullsize humbucker would be better. I think the hotrails has a bit more of a classic metal crunch aside from a lot of humbuckers that I've tried. But, that may just be me. Overall, a 9. Although the sound is good, some people may not like it. This isn't a one size fits all pickup. It picks up too much of the strings to fingerpick with, and may not be a good choice if you want a fendery tone. This won't give you a fendery tone. This'll give you a good Iron Maiden tone though. It'll sound inbetween a les paul and a strat sort of. This can be a bad thing or a good thing. // 9

More Seymour Duncan reviews rating category latest review