SJBJ-1 JB Jr review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SJBJ-1 JB Jr

I'm using this pickup in the neck position of a Fender Jaguar, which goes into: Smallsound/Bigsound TAFM-Devi Ever Disaster Fuzz-DOD FX35-EHX Small Stone-Ibanez CS505-EHX Deluxe Memory Man-Laney VC15. I had it in the bridge position for a while, and I found it too piercing and trebly, with no real warmth. In the neck, however, it's warm and smooth, without being too bassy or muddy. It has a pretty moderate output, matched very well in level with the Seymour Duncan SJAG-2 I have in the bridge position. Both pickups together sounds nice too; reduced volume and a chimey quality. I prefer the pickup for clean tones, because with distortion it does tend to get muddy when playing chords, though single notes sound quite nice and full.

The sound being muddy on distorted settings is a bit annoying, and I have considered replacing it with a single coil for a brighter sound, but I do like how the pickup sounds into a clean amp, and having a big difference in tone between the neck and bridge pickups does add versatility.

It seems very well constructed, like all Seymour Duncan products I've had experience with: the casing is solid and the wires well fixed into it. The pickup came installed in my guitar when I bought it, and I've used it heavily for gigs for a year since then with no problems at all.