SJBJ-1 JB Jr review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SJBJ-1 JB Jr

Purchased from: Guitar, Amp and Keyboard

The Seymour Duncan JB Jr. is the smaller version of the full size JB Humbucker. This version of the JB is designed for a single coil sized position. It's a moderate output mini-humbucker that can do a range of styles and sounds. I've got the JB for my Squier Stratocaster and it's fitted in the bridge position. I'm using this with a Marshall solid state MG15DFX, Boss DS-1 Distortion, EHX Big Muff Pi and an EHX Small Clone Chorus. Overall, the sound is pretty balanced, but more on the trebly side. It's by no means a muddy or overly bassy pickup. Starting with clean, it's a nice and resonant clean like you get from single coils but with that humbucker kick to it. There's some good crunchy sounds, either with full gain with the volume backed off or with a small amount of gain. This pickup cleans up really well using the volume control which I like. Although it isn't a full size humbucker, some of the Drive tones sound exact to a full size humbucker which I think is really impressive. With higher gain settings it handles it just like any other dual coil pickup, with all the punch and aggression. Being quite a trebly pickup, you can here all the notes and everything separates really well. You don't get some notes just turn into sludgy sounds like you get with some humbuckers on high gain. For Nirvana, which is what I play, this is ideal as their guitar sound was sometimes relatively trebly and also the guitarist, Kurt Cobain sometimes used JB's in his Strats. Overall, some brilliant sounds from this pickup which I did expect, because it is from one of the best pickup companies, Seymour Duncan!

Overall, I just love this pickup. The day I got this put in I was so happy because I'd got the guitar last Christmas, not really even thinking of getting rid of the bridge single coil pickup and because for what I play, I use quite high gain so obviously I had horrible buzz etc. I didn't like playing the guitar because of this and it seemed like such a shame. The guitar sat in the case for a couple of months. Then I saw this and bought it and got it fitted. It felt really worth it and now I play this guitar pretty much all the time out of the 4 I've got. I really love this pickup's versatility as well. Overall, I think if your after something to get your Strat or Tele a bit more suitable for heavier styles then get this, it's brilliant sounding and is good for lots of things.

I think this section is in some ways slightly pointless. Obviously I depend on it otherwise I wouldn't of got it and yes it should last a long time. People buy pickups for the sound don't they? Not the durability. But Yes, they are reliable- and that seems almost a fact.