SJBJ-1 JB Jr review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: SJBJ-1 JB Jr

Purchased from: Guitar, Amp and Keyboard

This pickup is the single coil sized version of the full size JB. I would say it is a moderate output pickup. I'm using it with a Marshall MG15DFX with a BOSS DS-1, EHX Big Muff and an EHX Small Clone running through it. I've got it in the bridge position of my Squier Standard Strat. It really is a nice pickup. I mostly play Nirvana's stuff, but do also play some metal type stuff like Avenged Sevenfold and also some Metallica. It is more on the trebly side of things but for Nirvana this is almost key to most of their stuff and sounds brilliant for it. For the heavier stuff I just set the amp to that "Scooped" sound and it really does shine. You just get such a brilliant, warm sound from it with so much tonal colour to it. Cleans can be soft if you want them to be but with some tweaking of the controls you get some so much tonal possibility. Overdrives can be from bluesy crunch to Metallica sort of metal. You can easily get a precise sound with some minor tweaking of controls which is something I really like. This pickup is extremely versatile. I use this pickup 99% of the time out of the 3 pickups on the guitar. Although I do like single coils as well this pickup just made my guitar so much better.

When I got my Strat last Christmas I didn't really have much knowledge of the sound single coils produce. So when I plugged it in I wasn't really fussed that it was different to humbuckers but then I realised I needed something to really get that true humbucker overdrive tone. I saw this but was opting for the HOT Rails. I saw some reviews on both of them and people said that tonally, the JB is better and has a more full sound. I got this installed as soon as I could and have since played my Strat the most out of the four guitars I own. Overall, I am very, very happy I got this and I just love the sounds I can get. I really do recommend this pickup.

It's Seymour Duncan! Of course it will last. It isn't really in a position where it is going to get broken so I have no worries. I can't see anything happening to it.

Josh100
    People like me realise that if they play Rock, single coils don't do well. It's all well and good having single coils playing blues or something, but when you've just spent money on a Strat guitar, these things can save you from wasting 200 or more on a guitar. If you play Rock or metal, they really are good. Besides, I think they look cool in a single coil position. I don't like guitars that are just all the same, plain and boring. It's good to have something different. Some people like the way a guitar looks and plays, but not the sound. They are a good idea these pickups.
    MarkoakaNiggaK
    MaggaraMarine wrote: Can't single coils be single coils and humbuckers be humbuckers!! How is the sound on these? Does it lose the twang? But of course you don't want the twang when you upgrade your pickups with these? What's the point in buying a guitar with singles and then upgrade it with humbuggies. The point of single coil guitars is the twang!
    yep it looses the twang but doesn't sound like a normal hummbucker either, it's somwhere in the middle, quite nice if u have a strat and use middle and bridge at the same time.
    IIC420
    For everyone asking why somone would want to use this instead of getting a new guitar, its because we love our strats and the vintage sound with the Custom shops or Texas Specials, or other low output pickups, but would like to have a bit more versatility. I would love to get a Gibson, but I have invested alot into my strat and LOVE the tone I get, and the neck feels real nice for anything but certain types of metal. By Keeping the neck and mid SC PUPS, and replacing bridge with JBjr, it opens a whole other world of music with this PUP. Thats why we use it. Also I just bought a new pickguard when I changed my SC's and didn't want to get a SSH guard when I could get good sound from an SC sized HB.
    Metaone
    It is logical to keep the neck and the middle pups for standard Strat sound and have a mini humbucker at the bridge when a bit strong tone needed. In general, the stock bridge pups give a little bir thin and fizzy sound regardless of the output, so I also got Jb Jr to add some power.
    MaggaraMarine