ST59-1B Little '59 review by Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan: ST59-1B Little '59

I had this pickup installed in my 2007 MIM Tele in the bridge position with 500k pots and a coil tap. I use it with a Marshall JCM900 4100, a Boss DS-1 which I use a boost and a Jim Dunlop Crybaby. This pickup has a much higher output than the stock single coil but has been coil tapped so I can revert to a lower output. This pickup has 'beefed up' my tele and sounds amazing, I play many different styles but mainly hard rock, classic rock and blues. This pickup captures these tones perfectly and can handle a large amount of distortion without sounding muddy. This pickup has reduced the twang and high end of my tele, which is something I hoped it would do and it now sounds more 'bassy' and thick. The only area where this pickup lets itself down is on a clean setting, as it can be to harsh. This however is not a problem as I have a Seymour Duncan Vintage Rhythm Stack in the neck position and I only use clean tone on the neck position.

I'm completely satisfied with this pickup, it does everything I want it to, it's amazingly versatile when coil tapped and the quality of craftsmanship is very high. If my guitar was stolen I would definitely buy a telecaster again and put this pickup in bridge potion with a Vintage Rhythm Stack in the neck position. This pickup is definitely an easy and effective way to beef up your tele and make it more suitable for the heavier rock genres as it just drops right into the bridge without any hassle.

This pickup seems to be build like a tank and I can foresee it taking years of abuse and still being absolutely fine. I would definitely have no doubts about gigging with it without having a backup.

NHECOS
    This pickup is much more well fitted in the neck position. This pickup is great for the warm tones of blues and jazz. If the objective is to beef up the sound of the tele, you should use a different kind of pickup in the bridge (something like a Seymour Duncan JB).
    adambauman31
    NHECOS
    adambauman31 wrote: i like my 59 in the bridge. a jb is a good pickup too, but a little too much gain for me.
    Maybe a JB would be too much for a Tele... not enough wood. It sounds better in a Les Paul type of guitar.