Generator TRH2 Review

manufacturer: Tonerider date: 07/16/2015 category: Pickups
Tonerider: Generator TRH2
The Tonerider Generator is an excellent alternative to the Rocksong.
 1,168
review (1) user comments vote for this gear:
Generator TRH2 Reviewed by: polkadotflyingv, on july 16, 2015

Price paid: € 50

Sound: The Tonerider Generator is an excellent alternative to the Rocksong. I have played this through a Kemper modeling amp and could virtually do anything well with it, sounded great. With my Roland Cube practice amp it always felt more like a hot rod PAF. Sound is very rich and great for rock and blues, however (despite the high output 15.7k) I would still not call this "screaming."

Clean sound is nice and very rich, lots of tones available and for rock/blues it is incredibly good value for the money. I think this humbucker is a treat for the blues. Nice and thick tone. For metal, the Generator is in my view too tame. There is not enough oomph there, despite the huge output. I think this is close to a Duncan SH-5, but maybe with a little less punch. As said though, with a Kemper, or any great amp, you can get great sounds out of the Generator. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This is a solid pickup, great build quality, I believe it is underrated and holds its own very well. Never had any reliability or durability issues with the pickup. My Generator came from a friend but was unused, proper soldering and grounding as well as quality pots & switches go a long way when you put in any pickup.

The Generator never let me down, I had no issues with it and this is probably because I asked someone with way more experience in soldering gear to do the installation instead. Having said that, I don't know where these pickups are made. I assume with solid quality control you can make amazing pickups anywhere. In the end, would that have made a difference? Probably not. I am not a purist, though I am a sucker for details. I like to know what I buying and where it comes from. // 8

Overall Impression: My style of music is very much stuck in the '80s, so the Generator is a good match to my playing. Still, I prefer my Duncan Distortion or EMG 81 when it comes to playing metal. It is very hard for me to do my wannabe Ronni Le Tekro soloing with the Generator, but super it is great for the CC Deville riffing. I would sell this pickup because I want more edge and distortion. I would keep this pickup because (imo) it does everything a DiMarzio PAF Master does. Have been playing for some 25+ years. My gear changes almost annually, because I am suffering from chronic GAS. // 8

Comments